Salary: $60,000 – $75,000 + Full Benefits
Corporate Location: Washington D.C./Hybrid Schedule
Classification: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy
About ITS America
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America is the country’s largest association that envisions a better future transformed by intelligent mobility that is safer, greener and smarter. ITS America’s broad membership includes public and private sector organizations including state and city departments of transportation, regional and local transportation and planning agencies, private companies providing ITS products and services, auto manufacturers and suppliers, research organizations, academic institutions and industry associations.
Our mission is to advance the research and deployment of intelligent transportation technologies to save lives, improve mobility, increase accessibility and equity, promote sustainability, and improve efficiency and productivity:
- Convening leaders from the public sector, private companies, academia, and research organizations to create an environment that fosters innovation.
- Promoting a legislative and regulatory environment that supports investment in and the deployment of intelligent systems.
- Conducting research, educating stakeholders, and building awareness of advancements in smart transportation technologies.
ITS America offers full benefits, a flexible hybrid work environment, dynamic opportunities for coaching, mentoring, and development and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The organization offers an innovative working environment that is team-oriented.
The Policy Analyst is a key member of the Public Policy Team and directly supports the Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy.
The Policy Analyst supports activities of the Public Policy Team across legislative, regulatory, and industry efforts. The Policy Analyst will develop advocacy materials and communications, conduct research, and otherwise support the activities of the Public Policy Team.
This position is an integral member of ITS America’s Public Policy Team and offers unique opportunities to build relationships and network with thought leaders and experts from the transportation and technology sectors as well as an opportunity to work with passionate, mission-driven people in an innovative industry.
- Develop Advocacy Materials and Communications (50%)
- Support the work of the policy team including working with ITS America members to assist in the development of policy priorities at the federal level.
- Assist in developing communications and collateral materials for Congress, the Administration, regulatory agencies, state/local officials, ITS America members, and other stakeholders.
- Draft high-quality policy materials such as letters, memos, news releases, fact sheets, briefs, use cases, and reports for use within ITS America as well as outside entities.
- Assist in developing ITS America policy issue alerts.
- Attend and report on hearings, regulatory meetings, and other policy events.
- Draft one-pagers, memos, and fact sheets to support Public Policy Team needs.
- Meet and communicate regularly with Public Policy Team staff to support the work of senior management, ITS America members, and the organization’s programmatic and strategic priorities.
- Communicate regularly with members and internal staff to coordinate policy development and legislative and regulatory activities.
- Produce a weekly Policy Rundown Newsletter identifying legislative, regulatory, and ITS America updates to the membership.
- Work closely with the communications team to maintain ITS America’s online advocacy materials and ensure materials are accurate and up to date.
- Research (30%)
- Conduct legislative, regulatory, and other policy tracking and research particularly related to legislative and regulatory developments from the relevant Congressional Committees, the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Department of Energy.
- Research relevant policy issues and provide background information and additional insight to inform policy development.
- Policy Team Support (10%)
- Participate in weekly Public Policy Team strategy meetings and support weekly member calls to keep members up to date, informed, and engaged.
- Tracking and memorializing internal and external meetings and events as needed.
- Meet regularly with manager and departmental leadership.
- Coaching, Growth, and Development (10%)
- Work with supervisor, mentor, and sponsor regularly to ensure individual’s career goals are developed, receive feedback on performance, and participate in training and development opportunities.
- Plan time for innovation, reading, brainstorming, and creative problem solving to support the organization and the position needs.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 1+ years of professional experience working in law, policy, advocacy, communications or related work
- Experience writing fact sheets, memos, one-page documents, and other materials for external audiences in plain language, with ability to provide a writing sample upon request
- Prior professional experience with Congress, federal, state or city level agency and/or transportation/technology trade association
- Experience and understanding of transportation, transportation technology, future mobility trends, urban planning, or other ITS-related topics
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects of various sizes and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to research, collect data, analyze topics and summarize information.
- Must be a self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently, and manage time and deadlines
- Team player and collaborator
- Proven skills in customer service, networking, building relationships, and stakeholder outreach and engagement
- Ability to work with all levels of expertise, from entry-level professionals to corporate executives
- Capable of digesting and quickly understanding complex topics; ability to translate complex topics into plain language to make ideas easier to understand
- Passion for transportation technology policy goals; excited about future trends in policy, technology, transportation, environment, mobility, safety or other related issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Opportunities for travel to national conferences and in-person forums
- Tasks involve some physical effort, including light to moderate standing and walking, frequent light lifting (up to 15lb.), and minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of routine office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a computer to perform majority of the work.
- Extended period of sitting at a workstation or desk. Manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and use other electronics and equipment routinely found in a professional office setting.
- Task requires:
- Sound perception and discrimination
- Visual perception and discrimination
- Oral communications ability
ITS America has a hybrid work schedule. All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment where the noise level is usually quiet to moderate. Work may occasionally be performed in public setting or venue such as conferences or workshops where moderate to loud noise from multiple ongoing conversations and presentations may be simultaneously occurring. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of equipment, as well as safe practices while on ITS America or Customer property is essential.
ITS America will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments as well as other applicable local and state employment and disability laws. ITS America is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
- Full benefits and 401k matching
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Onboarding buddy
- Cell phone stipend
- Onsite gym
- Monthly and quarterly team building events including happy hours and outings
- Flex schedules
- Regular coaching and mentoring
- Semi-annual staff retreats
- Opportunities for career development and advancement
ITS America is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone belongs and feels included. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. ITS America proudly supports MobilityXX, as a founding member, which champions the inclusion of women and people of color in transportation.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and any additional questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org