Salary: $60,000 – $75,000 + Full Benefits
Corporate Location: Washington D.C./Hybrid Schedule
Classification: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: Director of Policy and Stakeholder Engagement
About ITS America
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America is the country’s largest association that envisions a better future transformed by intelligent mobility that is safer, greener and smarter. ITS America’s broad membership includes public and private sector organizations including state and city departments of transportation, regional and local transportation and planning agencies, private companies providing ITS products and services, auto manufacturers and suppliers, research organizations, academic institutions and industry associations.
Our mission is to advance the research and deployment of intelligent transportation technologies to save lives, improve mobility, increase accessibility and equity, promote sustainability, and improve efficiency and productivity:
- Convening leaders from the public sector, private companies, academia, and research organizations to create an environment that fosters innovation.
- Promoting a legislative and regulatory environment that supports investment in and the deployment of intelligent systems.
- Conducting research, educating stakeholders, and building awareness of advancements in smart transportation technologies.
ITS America offers full benefits, a flexible hybrid work environment, dynamic opportunities for coaching, mentoring, and development and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The organization offers an innovative working environment that is team-oriented.
The Policy Engagement Specialist is a key member of the Public Policy Team and directly supports the Director of Policy and Stakeholder Engagement. The Policy Engagement Specialist will facilitate the work of ITS America’s Standing Advisory Committees and working groups to support ITS America’s programmatic and strategic objectives related to advancing intelligent transportation for a safer, greener, smarter transportation future for all.
This position helps administer and coordinate standing advisory committee and working group activities covering a range of topics, including connected vehicles and transportation, digital infrastructure, automated vehicles, and emerging technologies. This position will help facilitate the day-to-day administration of the committees and related working groups, including meeting scheduling, planning, and preparation; building relationships with members; identifying gaps in committee participation; and serving as a key customer service lead for our valuable members. The Policy Engagement Specialist also supports the Director of Policy and Stakeholder Engagement in efforts to work closely with ITS America’s Communications, Events, Technical Programs, and Membership Departments to ensure ITS America members are supported and their needs are met.
This position is an integral member of ITS America’s Public Policy Team and offers unique opportunities to build relationships and network with thought leaders and experts from the transportation and technology sectors as well as an opportunity to work with passionate, mission-driven people in an innovative industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Committee Administration (60%)
- Receive direction from Policy Team management on committee strategy, goals, and outcomes
- Work with Director of Policy and Stakeholder Engagement to ensure committees align with organizational strategic goals, mission, and industry needs.
- Maintain committees and working groups rosters, communications platforms (Teams, Zoom ext.), and distribution lists.
- Create agendas, meeting minutes, presentations, and related meeting handouts and ensure timely delivery of materials in advance of committee meetings as well as post report outs.
- Communicate with our members to answer member questions, ensure members have timely information related to the committee work.
- Facilitate in-person and virtual meetings.
- Support internal and external file-sharing sites, emails, and sharing of data.
- Develop overall timelines and schedules for committee and working group activities and scheduling with committee and working group chairs.
- Communications (20%)
- Assist in drafting one-pagers, memos, and fact sheets to support Public Policy Team and organizational needs.
- Meet and communicate regularly with Public Policy Team staff to ensure the work of the committees supports the work of senior management, ITS America members, and the organizations programmatic and strategic priorities.
- Communicate regularly with members and internal staff to coordinate across committees and ensure staff and members are updated on progress and activities.
- Assist in drafting monthly committee newsletter.
- Post relevant articles, news stories, webinars, and communications on Teams sites for our members.
- Draft regular summaries of committee activities and prepare information for the organization’s annual report.
- Policy Team Support (10%)
- Participate in weekly Policy Team strategy meetings and support weekly member calls to keep members up to date, informed, and engaged.
- Tracking and memorializing internal and external meetings and events as needed.
- Research information to support public policy and advocacy team needs.
- Meet regularly with manager and departmental leadership.
- Support with all phases (planning through follow up) of meetings, webinars, conferences, expos, forums, and events as needed.
- Coaching, Growth, and Development (10%)
- Work with supervisor, mentor, and sponsor regularly to ensure individual’s career goals are developed, receive feedback on performance, and participate in training and development opportunities.
- Plan time for innovation, reading, brainstorming, and creative problem solving to support the organization and the position needs.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 1+ years of professional experience working in program management, law, policy, communications, committee administration, stakeholder engagement, strategy or related wor
- Experience writing fact sheets, memos, one-page documents, and other materials for external audiences in plain language, with ability to provide a writing sample upon request
- Experience in committee administration, managing committees and stakeholder councils, or
- Experience and understanding of transportation, transportation technology, future mobility trends, urban planning, or other ITS-related topics
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects of various sizes and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to research, collect data, analyze topics and summarize information.
- Must be a self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently, and manage time and deadlines
- Team player and collaborator
- Proven skills in customer service, networking, building relationships, and stakeholder outreach and engagement
- Ability to work with all levels of expertise, from entry-level professionals to corporate executives
- Capable of digesting and quickly understanding complex topics. Ability to translate complex topics into plain language to make ideas easier to understand
- Passion for transportation technology policy goals. Excited about future trends in policy, technology, transportation, environment, mobility, safety or other related issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Opportunities for travel to national conferences and in-person forums
- Tasks involve some physical effort, including light to moderate standing and walking, frequent light lifting (up to 15lb.), and minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of routine office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a computer to perform majority of the work.
- Extended period of sitting at a workstation or desk. Manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and use other electronics and equipment routinely found in a professional office setting.
- Task requires:
- Sound perception and discrimination
- Visual perception and discrimination
- Oral communications ability
ITS America has a hybrid work schedule. All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment where the noise level is usually quiet to moderate. Work may occasionally be performed in public setting or venue such as conferences or workshops where moderate to loud noise from multiple ongoing conversations and presentations may be simultaneously occurring. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of equipment, as well as safe practices while on ITS America or Customer property is essential.
ITS America will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments as well as other applicable local and state employment and disability laws. ITS America is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
- Full benefits and 401k matching
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Onboarding buddy
- Cell phone stipend
- Onsite gym
- Monthly and quarterly team building events including happy hours and outings
- Flex schedules
- Regular coaching and mentoring
- Semi-annual staff retreats
- Opportunities for career development and advancement
ITS America is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone belongs and feels included. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. ITS America proudly supports MobilityXX, as a founding member, which champions the inclusion of women and people of color in transportation.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and any additional questions to: email@example.com