Salary: $70,000 – $85,000
Corporate Location: Washington D.C. – Headquarters/Partial Remote
Reports to: Vice-President, Technical Programs
About ITS America
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America is the country’s largest association that envisions a better future transformed by intelligent mobility that is safer, greener and smarter. ITS America’s broad membership includes public and private sector organizations including state and city departments of transportation, regional and local transportation and planning agencies, private companies providing ITS products and services, auto manufacturers and suppliers, research organizations, academic institutions and industry associations.
Our mission is to advance the research and deployment of intelligent transportation technologies to save lives, improve mobility, increase accessibility and equity, promote sustainability, and improve efficiency and productivity:
- Convening leaders from the public sector, private companies, academia, and research organizations to create an environment that fosters innovation.
- Promoting a legislative and regulatory environment that supports investment in and the deployment of intelligent systems.
- Conducting research, educating stakeholders, and building awareness of advancements in smart transportation technologies.
ITS America offers full benefits, a flexible hybrid work environment, dynamic opportunities for coaching, mentoring, and development and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The organization offers an innovative working environment that is team-oriented.
Generate revenue, conduct project management activities, conduct technical and engineering work, leverage projects where relevant to the roadmap/mission of the organization, support ITS America shows, and serve as a technical engineering resource to members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- (70%) Apply engineering theory and principles to Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Projects to accomplish:
- Investigative research into technology such as computer science and geographic information systems (GIS) that can be applied to Transportation Planning, Design, Operations and Maintenance.
- Statistical analysis of market trends and/or market adoption of technologies that will improve traffic safety, traffic flow, transit and freight mobility and the environment.
- Preparation of summary and synthesis research reports of current industry processes, near future or other industry technology applicability to state and local governments and industry transportation operations’ needs.
- Researching/synthesizing institutional and technical and engineering topics as it relates to state, regional and local department of transportation processes.
- Engagement and conducting industry stakeholder interviews of subject matter experts to facilitate the sharing of best practices, dissemination of information on industry relevant topics and inform decision makers of the current topical state.
- Performing literature reviews of current industry and technical engineering reports to identify the strengths and weakness of existing and future technologies.
- Researching and reviewing current industry reports to write a literature review of transportation technology topics including mobility, energy, telecommunications and others as needed;
- Researching and understanding of new travel behavior across various modes of travel and new technology influencing changes in travel behavior; and
- Presenting various technical reports to internal and external project members including Federal agency level.
- (10%) Serve as a project manager for assigned engineering projects, which includes:
- Managing cost, schedule, and performance for labor and/or materials
- Managing personnel resources to meet project requirements.
- Ensuring high quality products through quality assurance and quality control measures.
- Reporting project progress monthly or as needed.
- Reporting to Vice President, Technical Programs on project status and performance; and
- Anticipating project risks and potential project delays appropriately and suggesting appropriate solutions.
- Work closely with Vice President of Technical Programs on budget, contracting and resource allocation.
- (5%) Tie projects to roadmap/mission of the organization – where projects directly relate to the roadmap/mission, seek out opportunities to leverage this work.
- (15%) Support membership by seeking out all opportunities to engage current members and attract potential members. For example:
- Participating in member/potential member meetings as requested;
- Serving as an engineering technical resource to members where applicable.
- Engaging members or potential members through projects when possible;
- Engaging with forum members where applicable; and
- Providing input into content of member outreach activities as requested.
Qualification, Knowledge, and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required in Civil, Environmental, or Transportation Engineering, Urban Studies/Urban Geography or a related field.
- Master’s degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering or relevant major preferred.
- 1 year of related experience.
- Ability to effectively engage clients through e-mail, videoconferencing, and face to face meetings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products, with strong skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of Mathematics and statistical analysis software experience.
- Ability to manage project cost, schedule, and performance.
- Technical knowledge of transportation and/or ITS.
- Knowledgeable in understanding technology devices and ITS equipment.
- Effective communicator (both verbal and written);
- Strong technical report writing skills.
- Team player.
- Flexibility to work on both technical work as well as administrative support for projects.
- Ability to learn / adapt on the job.
- Passion for learning.
- Willingness to travel.
- Overnight, non-local travel ~ 15% of the time.
- Tasks involve some physical effort, including light to moderate standing and walking, frequent light lifting (up to 15lb.), and minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of routine office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a computer to perform majority of the work.
- Extended period of sitting at a workstation or desk. Manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and use other electronics and equipment routinely found in a professional office setting.
- Task requires:
- Sound perception and discrimination
- Visual perception and discrimination
- Oral communications ability
Consideration will be given to remote, virtual working environment. All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment where the noise level is usually quiet to moderate. Work may occasionally be performed in public setting or venue such as conferences or workshops where moderate to loud noise from multiple ongoing conversations and presentations may be simultaneously occurring. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of equipment, as well as safe practices while on ITS America or Customer property is essential.
ITS America will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments as well as other applicable local and state employment and disability laws. ITS America is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
- Full benefits and 401k matching
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Cell phone stipend
- Onsite gym
- Flex schedules
- Semi-annual staff retreats
- Opportunities for career development and advancement
ITS America is committed to creating a diverse work environment where everyone belongs and feels included. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. ITS America proudly supports MobilityXX, as a founding member, which champions the inclusion of women and people of color in transportation.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org